FAQs: Donating to our group

How can I make a donation?

Credit Card donations can be made via the Ryerson – Lifeline Syrian website (please click here) On this page, in the drop down box called “Select a designation for your gift” please click Ripple Refugee Project as the group you are looking to donate to. Donations can be recurring or a one-off donation.Donations can also be made via cheque, by making out the cheque to Ryerson University with a note on the memo line of the cheque, or accompanied letter, indicating that the cheque is meant for the Ripple Refugee Project / UHN account.

The donor should also include their name and address so that Tax Receipts can be issued and mailed back to them by Ryerson.

The cheque should be mailed to:

Attn: Rivi Frankle
Assistant Vice President, Development
Ryerson University
350 Victoria Street
Toronto, Ontario
M5B 2K3

Making a donation by cash is not possible.

Can I get a Tax Receipt for my donation?

Yes, online credit donations via the Ryerson Lifeline automatically and immediately generate an electronic tax receipt which can be printed out and submitted for your taxes.

Tax Receipts for cheque donations will be mailed out to the person making the donation as long as their name is clearly marked and a mailing address is provided for Ryerson to mail out the Tax Receipt.

How much of the donation is actually used to settle the refugee family and how much is used for overhead (eg: administrative expenses)?

100% of the donations will be used to directly settle the refugee family we are sponsoring.  No funds are used for overhead, administration, staffing etc.

What happens if the Ripple Refugee Project raises more money than is needed to settle this particular family?

As the Ripple Refugee Project is an ongoing project, any funds raised which exceeds what our initial family settlement requires will be used to sponsor additional families in the future.

What is the money that the Ripple Refugee Project raises used for?

The refugee family that we are sponsoring and resettling into Canada are being brought to Canada as part of the Canadian government program called the Blended Visa Office Referral program for refugees.

Under this program, private citizen groups such as ours are responsible for paying for the costs of initially setting up the living arrangements for the family (providing furniture, clothing, kitchen supplies etc).  We are also responsible for providing the family with a monthly basic living allowance over a 6 month period.  This basic monthly allowance will help the family pay for rent, food, transit, utilities and other basic necessities.

The Canadian government is responsible for providing the basic living allowance for an additional 6 months.  At the end of the 12 months the refugee family is expected to be self-sufficient.

How much is the Ripple Refugee Project looking to raise and how is this number arrived at?

The Canadian government provides specific financial requirements that sponsoring groups such as the Ripple Refugee Project must pay to the family which is based on family size and the number of adults.  In our case, we are required to raise a minimum of $45,200 however, given the family has special medical needs and will be settling in the high-cost environment of Toronto, we are looking to raise $50,000

How can I follow the progress of the settlement of this family?

Please click here to read our Ripple Refugee Project blog. On this page you can also sign up for email alerts whenever the blog is updated.

Who are the members of the Ripple Refugee Project and how did it get started?

The Ripple Refugee Project is a group of 17 concerned private citizens who live in downtown Toronto.  Our group has no affiliation to any religious group or ethnic association – we are working independently due to our members desire to contribute to mitigating the refugee crisis.  Our fundraising efforts are generously supported by members of the University Health Network.

The group initially formed in May, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment